Food for thought

I spend far too much time deciding what to eat. There's too much decision making and planning involved. Knowing what to prepare is one thing. Having the essential ingredients and knowing exactly what to get from the groceries is another.
I caught myself wondering today - what would it be like if humans could abandon the need for food. I've pondered about the needlessness of sleep, religion and imbeciles. But food! Holy shit. The answers that came gushing in were shocking. I dare say, the world would be an unspeakably different and better place if humans stopped eating.
Far less suffering
1. Most obviously, famine will cease to exist amongst the poverty stricken. This means people, notably children, will not suffer from malnutrition and brain and physical growth impairment. They will also be more tolerant to diseases such as HIV and tuberculosis. The phrase 'feed the family' will perhaps bear a different meaning. Children will not be pushed to the streets to beg and far fewer people will be subjected to exploitation. Poor regions of the world can finally focus on building their nations.
2. Parents will not need to put up with the unholy shriek of a hungry child.
3. Victims of whatever catastrophe or abuse or neglect will stand a better chance of survival by not dying from hunger.
4. I will not be humiliated by the vending machine when I am hungry and trapped in the computer or microscope lab at 2.30 AM. I will hereby become more productive because I will no longer be distracted by stomach rumbles and the constant urge to munch.
5. Fewer angry people. Too many people get angry, impatient and cranky when food deprived.
6. No dishes! Fuck yeah.
Environmentally sound
1. Millions of kilometre squares of land will be spared of agricultural and industrial growth. Precious lands will also be spared from desertification - a looming crisis due to decades of land mismanagement.
2. Energy and resource consumption could be almost halved. Food production encompasses a giant spectrum - agriculture, processing, packaging, logistics, and marketing. Just think of the resources and energy that can be saved from disposing food consumption. Global warming? What global warming? Water crisis? What crisis?
3. The hippies will leave us alone and the Chinese will finally stop gobbling the world up. Yay to the animals!
Shake that ass
1. Everyone will be of average size or however their genetics choose to define. But I'd like to imagine everyone to be sexy, healthy and toned. Obesity and anorexia free.
2. Restaurants will be replaced by secondhand bookshops and quirky artsy shops that I can spend all day in.
3. Lots and lots of money saved! ---> travel-the-world fund.
4. Who needs a kitchen anymore? More space in the house! What shall we turn it into? A library? An indoor garden? Or perhaps a dancefloor?
I caught myself wondering today - what would it be like if humans could abandon the need for food. I've pondered about the needlessness of sleep, religion and imbeciles. But food! Holy shit. The answers that came gushing in were shocking. I dare say, the world would be an unspeakably different and better place if humans stopped eating.
Far less suffering
1. Most obviously, famine will cease to exist amongst the poverty stricken. This means people, notably children, will not suffer from malnutrition and brain and physical growth impairment. They will also be more tolerant to diseases such as HIV and tuberculosis. The phrase 'feed the family' will perhaps bear a different meaning. Children will not be pushed to the streets to beg and far fewer people will be subjected to exploitation. Poor regions of the world can finally focus on building their nations.
2. Parents will not need to put up with the unholy shriek of a hungry child.
3. Victims of whatever catastrophe or abuse or neglect will stand a better chance of survival by not dying from hunger.
4. I will not be humiliated by the vending machine when I am hungry and trapped in the computer or microscope lab at 2.30 AM. I will hereby become more productive because I will no longer be distracted by stomach rumbles and the constant urge to munch.
5. Fewer angry people. Too many people get angry, impatient and cranky when food deprived.
6. No dishes! Fuck yeah.
Environmentally sound
1. Millions of kilometre squares of land will be spared of agricultural and industrial growth. Precious lands will also be spared from desertification - a looming crisis due to decades of land mismanagement.
2. Energy and resource consumption could be almost halved. Food production encompasses a giant spectrum - agriculture, processing, packaging, logistics, and marketing. Just think of the resources and energy that can be saved from disposing food consumption. Global warming? What global warming? Water crisis? What crisis?
3. The hippies will leave us alone and the Chinese will finally stop gobbling the world up. Yay to the animals!
Shake that ass
1. Everyone will be of average size or however their genetics choose to define. But I'd like to imagine everyone to be sexy, healthy and toned. Obesity and anorexia free.
2. Restaurants will be replaced by secondhand bookshops and quirky artsy shops that I can spend all day in.
3. Lots and lots of money saved! ---> travel-the-world fund.
4. Who needs a kitchen anymore? More space in the house! What shall we turn it into? A library? An indoor garden? Or perhaps a dancefloor?
