Wednesday, 9 June 2010

21 candles



So, I am now officially 21. Age is a puzzling thing. If you didn't grow up being told how old you are, would you actually have a clue about your exact age? I wouldn't think so. I always wonder if I'm really my age. Sometimes I think I am, sometimes I think I'm not but then again, there isn't a specific parameter to how someone should be or act when they're of a certain age. There's a lot that I want from myself and amidst all the seriousness, I've been trying to remind myself to do things that I can while I'm still young - have fun, get loose, be silly. I'm not getting any younger and time is precious. Instead of putting all my focus on the future, I remind myself to not forget about the present.

I didn't exactly celebrate my birthday this year. I think I am outgrowing the birthday cakes, happy birthday songs and presents. Funny that it seems inconceivable to many that I chose not to throw a party or have a huge 21st thing. Turning 21 does indeed seem like a huge milestone. When I was much younger, I always wondered if I'd live past high school or get into university. However, I couldn't see the point to why I should have a huge massive party when I'd be just as happy waking up to a beautiful blue sky, being surrounded by the presence of some of my most favourite people and finding the biggest joy in the littlest things in life. I already feel blessed in more ways than I can describe.