Wednesday, 30 June 2010

Spill baby spill



The last thing we need now is more mention of the sinking of the Deepwater Horizon. The media is so saturated with the news that I do not think it bears repeating. Nevertheless, I am prompted to mention a few things on it as a few people have expressed their interest in my view (I suppose as a geologist-to-be) with regards to the devastating spill.

My sentiments are of the followings,

1. It is a shame it had to occur and I really hope it didn't have to happen. My sympathy extends to all the poor little sea dwellers and people who are affected.

2. Apparently, BP was being negligent. Take away lesson, never overlook risks especially the risks of deep sea drilling.

3. Due to one unfortunate incident, it does not mean drilling and exploration should be halted. For example, if a plane crashes, it doesn't mean people should stop flying. We just need to be more cautious next time. That's what lessons are for right?

4. We still need oil so we should not stop looking for it unless you fancy sky-rocketing oil prices (which will inflate the prices of everything else along with it - especially notorious in Malaysia).

5. That said, I believe humankind must wean their needs off oil and focus more on more sustainable forms of energy. Our dependency on oil is obscene considering there are other forms of energy which we can harness with far less environmental consequences and far better long-run cost efficiency (yes, even with available technology). But I guess people in general are too contented with what is present to be too bothered about change.

6. America's huge compensation demand from BP will not resolve a great deal of matter if it does not restrain its vicious hunger on conventional fuel. I am also highly sceptical about the management of the funds. Perhaps it's time for America to learn to do without their Hummers and downgrade to fuel-efficient mini cars. And instead of switching their energy consumption from coal to gas (as a very short cutsy effort to clean energy), they should look into more sustainable alternatives such as wind, solar or geothermal generation. Perhaps, it's time they set up a serious carbon reduction aim/agreement. Fellow Americans, you have a lot of catching up to do with your European counterparts (Think Britain, Germany, Italy, Norway).

7. So, while it's easy to point fingers at the oil industry, people should not overlook the fundamental drive of the problem. Each time you power your bloody fuel inefficient car or consume a petroleum-based product, you are the driving force of this oil boom problem. The oil industry is just happily providing the supply to fulfil the demands.

8. Finally, why do I plan to be in such an industry? It's because it gives me a great opportunity to learn and explore more of this world - of its geology, biodiversity and cultures. The energy industry has shed a great deal of light to geology over the past many decades and is still continuing to do so. So where you find geology, you'll find a geologist.