Friday, 24 September 2010

Dear geologist: question of the day

Q: I understand that scissors can beat paper, and I get how rock can beat scissors, but there's no fucking way paper can beat rock.

This is immensely troubling and I have been losing sleep over this. Please help.

Confused One xxx



A: Dear Confused One, don't fret for I have the answer.

As you can see, a rock is like a muscular man. Tough on the outside, soft on the inside. Wrapping paper around a rock frightens it as it loses its sight and becomes completely defenceless. A frightened rock is subjected to stress/pressure. The minerals in the rock then become unstable and start breaking down. In other words, the stress induced causes the distressed rock to disintegrate and die. This is not visible to the naked human eye for it is a slow process that occurs through the geologic time scale. Also, like a man, the rock prefers to whimper in silence. Unfortunately, this causes misunderstanding and confusion.

I hope this helps. Have a good day.
The Geologist x