Monday, 17 May 2010

My brain is the planet


- A comparison between the Junebug's brain and the Earth

Here's an usual insight into my brain. I get described as intelligent, brainy, smart and the likes fairly often. To be honest, I sometimes think that 'intelligence' is a mere façade. I am not as smart as most people would think. I have to work hard for decent grades and I need ultimate concentration when reading journals or serious news reports. I grasp absolutely nothing when I try to understand quantum physics and when it comes to working difficult bits of calculus, I just remember the steps more so than trying to understand it. At least it got me through vector calculus (But ask me again now, I can't even tell you what dot product is. Epic fail.)

You'll be disappointed by how empty my head actually is. My brain is always on idle. When it isn't on idle, it is just day dreaming. I don't think a lot unless my nervous system gets provoked. The bits of substance and personality you see in me is really just the little bits floating on my brain, like the way the crust floats on the earth (which accounts for <1.00% of the earth's volume). If you ever find me shallow and absent-minded, that's exactly the reason why. Some would call it stupidity or retardedness but I'll let you decide on that one.

Beneath that, is a huge void where, well, basically where all the void is. No thoughts or feelings are transmitted in this region. It's probably all just brain juice, fluid, squishy things that flow to keep the brain functioning like how the mantle (85% of earth's volume) keeps the earth dynamic. Referring to the figure above, let us consider the outer core as part of the mantle too. I've yet again mislabelled my drawing and this exactly why I would have failed as an engineer. (And if I am going to fail as a geologist, I think I can consider art school LOL - tell me my mouse-drawn and coloured illustration is pretty please.)

Drill me deep down enough, you'll hit a pot of brain concentrate. However, to extract it, you will require mighty effort. But if all you get is just solid iron-nickel and nothing else, what's the value in that? Actually, what I'm really thinking is, trying to drill into the inner core of my brain would be like drilling down a seafloor of basalt. It will be a fruitless effort. But maybe, if you're lucky enough, you might be drilling on a reservoir seal instead of 100km of pure basalt where you might get some oil. Very crude oil.

That basically sums up the mechanics of my brain and I can't express just how amused I have been over it. My brain's relation to the planet has been swimming in my head for quite sometime now. Damn geologists.