Wednesday, 14 April 2010

Unconformity

My left cheek is pressed against the cold windscreen as I gaze into the far distance. Everything zooms by in a haze. From arid bushlands to lush farmlands populated by scattered herds of cows (or kangaroos) to the deep blue ocean that radiates so beautifully under the sun. I can't quite make out what's on my mind but it seems rather empty. Numb. Tranquillised.



I have travelled a lot throughout my life and there is always this one particularly strange sensation that tingles in me whenever I am on long bus journeys cruising down highways and country roads. It always feels like I'm travelling away from one time dimension to another. I am suddenly being taken out from the dimension that I am too familiar with (my comfort of home and daily routine) to another dimension. Another dimension that is full of unfamiliarties, adventures and excitement. It's never-ending. It's one excitement extending to another, and another and another. I can keep going. I can go on for forever.

Several days or weeks later, I discover myself being home once again. Smack right back into dimension one, back to reality. It feels like I have never left though. Everything seems to be in place and exactly how I last remembered. Was I ever away at all? The layer of dust that sits on my desk and the sunburn on my face reminds me that I have. It's convincing but not completely.