Sunday, 20 December 2009

One hermit shell for the junebug please


- Claremont Showgrounds for V-Festival, WA

I love people watching but the opposite is true when I'm back here in Kuching. The last thing I want to see is more people. I worry I am developing a fear (or I could say, a strong dislike) of being in large crowded areas in my own home city. The recent near death encounter with the exboyfriend is not being very helpful either.

In a small but moderately populated city like Kuching where things don't seem to get too exciting as the only entertainment is eating and shopping, you're bound (almost destinied) to bump into someone you know, don't quite know and do not like. Kuching city folks seem to have the tendency of flocking to all the popular dining areas and flooding every available shopping mall. The latter is very prominent when a huge sale is on or when a new cinema hits the town such as MBO at The Spring LOL. Picture Perth dwellers hitting up Northbridge on a Saturday night if you'd like a somewhat similar Western Australian scenario.

So yes, the potential of bumping into someone you know, don't quite know and do not like is remarkably high. While bumping into someone you know whom you happen to like and adore may be pretty sweet, bumping into someone you do not like would prove to be otherwise because you'd have to pretend you missed a glimpse of them or to try to avoid them so you wouldn't land into an awkward situation. I think it's worst when it comes to the don't-quite-know ones and annoyingly, that's where a larger group of people fall into. To say hi or to not say hi? To pretend you don't know (or to have forgotten them) or to not to? Hmmm.

I'm trying to avoid those popular hang out areas while I'm back here. I can't stress just how often I bump into people I know/don't quite know here. Not that it's that bad or overly annoying but sometimes, all I want is just to be out on my own and not give a shit about anyone or anything around me aside from whatever I feel is important for myself - such as food hunting or having a splendid time with my closest ones.

I'm so gonna go fishing tomorrow. Minimal possibility of getting into awkward social situations ftw :D