Thursday, 31 December 2009

The year of changes

And with changes, come new experiences and hopefully, a better, wiser me. Here's a quick flashback of my 2009.

The breakup (January)
Shocking - that's probably the best word to describe it. It came as an abrupt end to an almost four year relationship. I was initially in denial and I couldn't explain exactly how or why it happened, but it just did. It ended there and then. I'm only glad the aftershock came as a wave of disappointment instead of depression or some psychotic shit. Single for nearly exactly a year now, it feels almost amazing to be in a relationship with no one but myself (Oh, and Joyce. But who will I be without you in Perth next year my dear wife?)

The departure (February)
The move to Perth was a much needed change of scenery and air for me. I wanted to break free from my mundane routine and to step away from this conservative and homogeneous society. All the pampering/princess treatment at home and spoon-fed education has left me feeling crippled - mentally crippled. I needed change, stimulation and independence. And I am pleased to say, I got exactly what I wanted. Those ten months in Perth have been nothing short of thrilling.



The switch (July)
Fuck, this isn't what I wanted - these were the exact words that ran through my mind after three semesters of Civil Engineering. I want sexy rocks and soil, not freaking structural analysis, and shit boring concrete and beams and trusses. Geomechanics, maybe you came a little too late for me.



So, Geology it is. It was a huge decision for me to make and announce. I'm glad I received the acceptance I wanted and I have not been happier since. Despite falling backwards to square one, I can at least safely say that I am able to see my dreams slowly unfolding ahead, of dreams to work in challenging environments, to explore uncharted realms, to be financially secure and to deepen my understanding and admiration for this delicate planet I heartily adore. I can see myself as a geologist.

The new me
With each passing year, it is like the exoskeleton an arthropod has shed and the layer of ring a tree has added. It about unfolding a new chapter and about growing up. And yes, I do sense difference in myself. I can't quite pinpoint it but I can feel the tingles of it. Good tingles that is :) I mean, even my blog looks different from twelve months ago.

Have a happy new year and Godspeed people! What's your new year's resolution? Lessons have taught me to not make any LOL :)